Pages

Friday 13 June 2014

Book review - The Kite Runner

Whilst at university, I never really got the opportunity to pick up a book and read for pleasure. This was my favourite thing to do before uni so now it's over, I get the chance and time to again which is great! The first book I've read is 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini. I had heard great things about it so thought I'd give it a go. It was published in 2003 to critical acclaim.

Set in the 1970s in Afghanistan, it tells the story of two young boys - Amir and Hassan. Amir's father is rich and Hassan's is his servant. Both children lost their mothers at a very young age and have been like brothers since. All of this changes on the day of the kite fighting tournament when one of the boys betrays the other. Amir included, many Afghans are forced to flee to America following the Russian invasion.



I absolutely loved this book! The story is really gripping and wonderfully written. It gives a really interesting look at the history of Afghanistan, something that I knew very little of before picking the book up. Hosseini tells tales of growing up so wonderfully.

Ultimately, this is a story about betrayal and redemption, about friends and family and loyalty. The writing is powerful and engaging, one of those fantastic books you look for that you cannot put down. I am really glad that I chose this to be my first reading for pleasure book after university, it has definitely reignited my passion for fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment