Pages

Sunday 14 June 2015

My life, my choice.

I am a woman and I do not want children.

This statement is frequently met with a gasp, a sad face or the worst – “oh don’t be silly, you’ll change your mind one day.”

How is it, that in the 21st century, society is still set on the idea that all women must want children? I remember thinking when I was much younger, when other girls were discussing potential kids names and dreaming of weddings, that I did not want children. People told me then I would change my mind which is fine, I was only a child myself. But, I am now an adult and people continue to shame me because I do not want children. Not now, not ever. Imagine if you had a plan for your life and people constantly told you that you would change your mind or that it was ridiculous for you to have said plan.

There are so many reasons why I do not want children. However, I do not see why I should need to justify this very personal decision. I am made to feel like a bad person because of this and it is completely unfair.

Women are more than potential mothers. Having children does not determine a woman’s worth. We have come a long way in terms of women’s rights regarding sexuality and freedom. If I do not want children, society cannot force me into having them. Unfortunately, it seems that much of society will continue to shame me for this decision.

People will often say “how can you not want children?” It is pretty easy to not want them actually and this question makes it seem like an awful thing. I am not denying anyone their right to have children; I am just choosing not to have them myself. This does not impact on anyone but me and my partner. Keep your judgements to yourself or better yet, start to understand that not all women want children and that is okay. Some women long to be mothers, others dread the thought of it.
My lack of desire to bear a child does not make me a bad person. Do not react in horror at a woman expressing that they do not want to be a mother. They will have their reasons for this and your judgement is not wanted. Who are you to say that all women must want certain things for their lives?

Alternatively, it is generally better accepted for a man to say he does not want children. A perfect example of double standards and of the underlying belief instilled in people that women are meant for motherhood.

Some women want children and that is okay. Some do not and that is also okay. Either way, it is none of your business why or whether they will change their mind. Surely it is better for a woman to not have children than to have them because she is pressured into it by society’s expectations?
I am a woman and I do not want children. If you have a problem with that, I do not want to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment