Pages

Monday 14 July 2014

I'm a female, I have a boyfriend, I am still bisexual...

Bisexuality erasure, wikipedia defines it as "the tendency to ignore, remove, falsify, or re-explain evidence of bisexuality in history." I've heard it all.

Bisexuals are just greedy
They haven't made up their mind yet
They're fooling themselves, they're actually just gay
But, you have a boyfriend so you must be straight?

Well please forgive those of us who identify as bisexual and manage to get into good relationships with someone of the opposite gender. Just because I have never had a relationship with a girl does not mean that I am not physically and emotionally attracted to them. Just because I am in a relationship with a man does not mean that I am heterosexual. Stop trying to tell people that bisexuality does not exist!

Identifying as bisexual does not mean someone is in denial about their sexuality. It does not mean that they are just experimenting with sexuality. It does not mean any of these things at all. It simply means that they are attracted to both males and females. Why is that so difficult for people to accept?

The sad thing is, I've even heard these comments within the LGBT community. There's a lingering idea that those who are bisexual do not deserve the same amount of attention within the community. People who identify as bisexual seem to be labelled as gay/lesbian if in a relationship with someone of the same sex. This is not fair or right in any way.

Why can't someone be attracted to both genders? Why can't someone have no interest in any gender? It is not up to others to tell people what their sexuality is. We, as individuals, are the only ones who have a right to define our own sexuality. That is, if we choose to do so.





No comments:

Post a Comment