Pages

Tuesday 29 July 2014

My favourite albums

Music is my one true love so I thought I'd share 5 of my favourite albums that I think everyone should listen to! In no particular order...

1. Disintegration - The Cure
I am a huge fan of The Cure, I saw them live in 2012 and they were so great! This album is by far my favourite of theirs. I always feel like I'm on some kind of journey when listening to it. It always relaxes me and takes me away to another place, it's somewhat hypnotic. I love music which has the power to do that. It's the gloomy gothic style that The Cure are known and loved for. Although the album, as the title suggests, came at a difficult time for band members, it will always be an incredible collection of beautifully dark songs.

Best songs: Pictures of You, Lovesong, Fascination Street.

2. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground
A commercial failure on release, this album is now often cited as a huge influence on many artists. This really is my favourite album of all time. Nico's voice is mesmerising and works so well with the whole sound of the band. The songs tell stories of addiction and other controversial topics. The lyrics, style and overall composition of the album makes it one that gets better every time you listen to it.

Best songs: Femme Fatale, Venus in Furs, Venus in Furs

3. Up the Bracket - The Libertines
My favourite band, for their music and their story. Their debut album, it showcases some of the best of their songs out there. Carl and Peter really are two musicians who write and play so well together and this album reflects that. The first band of this generation to really have their own style which has since been replicated many times. If you like guitars and interesting lyrics, you'll love this.

Best songs: Death on the Stairs, The Good Old Days, Time For Heroes

4. Nevermind - Nirvana
Any list of great albums would be incomplete without this. Grunge rock at its very best with a melodic pop twist, this is definitely my favourite Nirvana album. I love listening to this after the Pixies 'Surfer Rosa' because the influence is so clear and it's awesome! The songs are catchy, the lyrics are great and the frequent changes in dynamic make this album unique. 'Nevermind' also made this genre more accessible which was not any easy feat.

Best songs: Lithium, Come As You Are

5. Midnight Boom - The Kills
I am head over heels crushing on Alison Mosshart and have been since I first heard this album a few years ago. The Kills songs always have so much going on in them and somehow they manage to also be an amazing live band. To me, they're pretty unique and special, I haven't found anything similar and to their standard yet. All the songs on this album are really catchy and it's just brilliant.

Best songs: Sour Cherry, Tape Song, Cheap & Cheerful

So there you have it, 5 albums which you should all listen to now (even if you've heard them before.) I'll probably post another list like this soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment